The French Navy (Marine Nationale) Carrier Strike Group left on 22nd January Toulon for a long operational deployment named “Foch” to support the French forces of Operation Chammal (against ISIS)
The CSG consisted of:
– aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91) and its airwing (18 Rafale M, two E-2C Hawkeye aircraft, one NH90 NFH helicopter and two Dauphin helicopters. )
– the multi-mission frigate Auvergne (D654)
– the air defense frigate (FDA) Chevalier Paul (D621)
– the command and refueling vessel Var (A608)
– the Hellenic Navy frigate HS Spetsai (F-453)
– a nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) Rubis class.
Throughout the deployment, various French and allied vessels (Spanish, Portuguese, Belgian, Dutch and German), as well as an Atlantic two maritime patrol aircraft, will integrate or have interactions with the CSG.
In these days (24 and 25 January) the CSG is making air exercises on central Tyrrhenian Sea and southern Ionian Sea (see the chart published by Desk Aeronautico).