This morning the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) Carrier Strike Group crossed the Strait of Gibraltar and arrived in the Mediterranean.
On October 14, 2023, “Ike” left Norfolk, Virginia, for the eastern Mediterranean.
In the meantime, the Pentagon has decided to extend the deployment of the USS Ford aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean, ordering the Eisenhower to head to the Persian Gulf.
The following is a list of the units deployed with the strike group:
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 8
- The “Ragin’ Bulls” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 37 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Blacklions” of VFA 213 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Golden Warriors” of VFA 87 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Tomcatters” of VFA 31 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Gray Wolves” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 142 – EA-18G – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bear Aces” of Airborne Command and Control Squadron (VAW) 124 – E-2D – from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 – C-2A – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Spartans” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 70 – MH-60R – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
- The “Tridents” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 9 – MH-60S – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
USS Normandy (CG-60), homeported at Norfolk, Va.
Destroyer Squadron 2
- USS Ramage (DDG-61) homeported at Norfolk.
- USS McFaul (DDG-74) homeported at Norfolk.
- USS Thomas Hudner (DDG-116), homeported at Mayport, Fla.