New (8th) report on the naval situation in the Mediterranean sea.
Warning. This post shows the positions of the main naval groups or other individual units deemed relevant. This post is not exhaustive of all units present at sea at this time.
NATO naval forces
NATO currently has 4 aircraft carriers available in the central/eastern Mediterranean:
1) The USNavy aircraft carrier USS Truman (CVN-75) and her Combat Strike Group is somewhere in the Ionian Sea (23rd Mai).
2) Italian aircraft carriers Cavour (C550) and Garibaldi (C551) are participating in Mare Aperto 2022 exercise in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Several Italian and NATO units are taking part in the exercise.
3) French Navy carrier Charles de Gaulle (R-91) is in Toulon
4) The Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 is underway in the eastern Mediterranean sea
5) The Standing NATO Mine Counter Measures Group Two – SNMCMG2 is participating in Mare Aperto exercise
6) the German Navy frigate Lubeck (F214) is carrying out the usual patrol of the Chios Strait
7) On April 20 the Royal Navy submarine HMS Audacious (S122) left Gibraltar and headed for the central Mediterranean.
RUSSIA naval forces
Russian forces are currently divided as follows:
1) The cruiser Marshall Ustinov is reported west of Crete, the destroyer Vice-Admiral Kulakov is underway in the same area;
2) the frigate Admiral Grigorovich is reported underway in the Aegean Sea after escorting two Russian tankers near Dardanelles
3) the frigate Admiral Flota Kasatonov is salining in the southern Aegean Sea
4) the Russian Navy spy ship Vasiliy N. Tatischev (SSV-231) is reported in the Strait of Sicily
5) all remaining units are located in or near the port of Tartus
MEDITERRANEAN— TheShipYard (@TheShipYard2) May 19, 2022
–#MarshalUstinovSAG sat off Crete and is disaggregated
–#VasiliyTatishchev remains in the Med. likely heading for the Tyrrhenian sea
-Most 5th Operational Squadron alongside
– #AdmGrigorovich returning to East Med pic.twitter.com/uEWy9cisN3
Leave a Reply